Winter is coming.. are you ready? Whether it’s dealing with seasonal affective disorder, preventing colds and flu, or facing holiday stresses, make sure you are ready for the winter season with a few simple habits.
- Take daily vitamin D. The benefits of vitamin D are substantial, but as many as 1 in 3 Canadians have low vitamin D levels. This supplement is of particular importance in the dark winter months to help boost moods and promote the immune system to prevent colds and flu.
- Exercise. Regular exercise is an effective antidote to depression and seasonal affective disorder. It’s also an excellent stress reliever during the holiday season and helps remind us of our health goals when the temptation to overindulge arises.
- Get a sun lamp. If you suffer from SAD, consider light therapy as a safe and effective option. Lamps are small and inexpensive and are available at many local drug stores.
- Stock up on Chinese herbal remedies for colds. These formulas include natural anti-viral and antibiotic herbs that help fight colds and boost immunity, and are great to keep in your medicine cabinet during cold and flu season. These formulas are taken at the first sign of a cold to prevent the cold entirely or to prevent symptoms from getting full blown. They can also be taken throughout a cold to minimize symptoms and help the body recover more quickly. Ask us about it at your next appointment!
- Get acupuncture. Acupuncture is one of the best stress relievers out there. It’s also great for depression, SAD, and boosting the immune system to help prevent colds and also to help you get over them more quickly and fully. Consider booking an appointment as part of your winter health regimen.