Whether physical or mental, we all experience stress to varying degrees. Stress plays a huge role in our everyday health and can aggravate health conditions that we already have. Routine, chronic stress can in the long run lead to serious physical and mental health consequences if not managed properly. Consider these facts:
- Up to 90% of all MD visits in North America are related to stress.
- Stress is a major factor in all chronic illnesses that our society suffers from.
If you suffer from a health condition, whether it is chronic pain, migraines, insomnia, digestive issues, high blood pressure, poor memory, or even difficulty losing weight, it is likely that stress plays a role in your symptoms. Relieving stress is a very important factor in managing your condition and resolving your symptoms. Acupuncture can be an effective tool for this.
Acupuncture and the Stress Response
Stress is one of the things acupuncture treats best! For thousands of years Chinese Medicine has considered stress to be a major contributing factor to chronic health conditions, and has developed effective ways of treating the negative effects stress has on the body.
No matter what condition we are treating, acupuncture works to promote healing by bringing your body back to its calm, relaxed state of healthy functioning.
Here are some of the many ways that acupuncture helps for stress:
- Acupuncture influences the body’s fight-or-flight response, lowering blood pressure, and heart rate and regulating hormones and endorphins to bring you back to a state of relaxation.
- Acupuncture reduces levels of our stress hormones like cortisol and boosts endorphins, our body’s natural pain relievers and mood enhancers.
- Acupuncture is very effective in improving sleep and resolving insomnia, including problems falling asleep because of worry or overthinking, problems staying asleep and restless sleep.
- Acupuncture has a balancing effect on our emotions so that we are better able to cope with everyday stressors without getting frustrated, angry, or “stressed out”.
- Acupuncture can break the cycle of constant worrying and bring you to a more relaxed state. This makes it very effective for treating chronic anxiety and depression.
- Acupuncture can help to calm digestive symptoms and strengthen and correct our digestive system, resolving conditions like IBS, constipation, diarrhea and acid reflux.
- Acupuncture helps your nervous system to remain in a more relaxed state, and you can expect to feel in better moods, have improved sleep, and better digestion.
- Acupuncture reduces inflammation in the body and relieve chronic pain conditions like arthritis, that can be aggravated by chronic stress
Manage Stress, Manage Health
Healthy lifestyle habits can help us maintain balance in our emotional and physical bodies and better manage stress. Simple, stress-relieving habits like exercise, relaxation, healthy eating, proper sleep, and strong relationships are an inexpensive and easy way to alleviate stress and to manage the symptoms.
In certain circumstances, these methods may not be enough. In these cases, it’s important to find the methods that help you to stay healthy and stress free. Acupuncture can be an effective tool for helping you to manage the stress in your life that may be contributing to your health issues. In this way, we can help you live a healthier, happier and symptom-free lifestyle.
Interested in finding out if acupuncture can help you? Our New Patient Special is a great way to discover the benefits of acupuncture out and see if it’s right for you.